Swayzak (unofficial name; also known as Hacker) is the protagonist and player character of Rez. He is a virus invading the mainframe of the K-Project computer in hopes of disinfecting it, restarting its malfunctioning artificial intelligence center Eden, and prevent her from shutting down to reveal the true being at her core.
Child of EdenEdit
Swayzak infects Eden and makes her doubt her existence and shut herself down, in an attempt to prove that he's a powerful virus. He eventually finds himself regretting this and invading the K-Project's mainframe to restart her and to reveal the true being at her core. Upon rebooting, Eden thanks Swayzak.
The player controls him within Project-K. He has six forms, alongside a non-canonical seventh: a Morolian, as a homage to Space Channel 5: Part 2, a game which was made by the same creator.
|Zero Form||First Form||Second Form||Third Form||Fourth Form||Final Form|
- Swayzak is an unofficial name for the main character of Rez, and is based on a character of that name who cameos in Toonami's review of the game when the plot is discussed. This character was actually first seen during the Toonami event Trapped in Hyperspace. Both are viruses, leading a Toonami fan who had discovered Rez via the review to become confused and believe these two were the same. By the time the fan understood, it had become too late and several reviewers had included the name in their reviews of Rez Infinite. (Tetsuya Mizuguchi has liked a tweet using the name.) So now it is treated as a nickname of sorts.
- Making it even more complicated, the Toonami character named Swayzak's voice in the event he first appeared in was similar to the voice in the US Sega Saturn commercials taking shots at Sony and Nintendo; so the name Swayzak has been used to refer to that voice as well. Despite that, all three are not the same characters.
- It is unknown what happens to Swayzak at the end of the game after saving Eden, and there's many different interpretations. The theory went with here is that Eden cleanses Swayzak, turning him into a good program.
- Form one of Swayzak is used for most promotional imagery of Rez.
- He is just referred to as "Hacker" in the manual, as Swayzak is just a nickname, and fans referred to him as this until the confused fan stumbled along and started the Swayzak nickname. The nickname is used as it adds more depth to the character, makes him stand out, and sounds unique.
- It has been debated whether Swayzak is really a virus. In this wiki, we will refer to him as a virus.